Considering we spend a third of our life in bed, a good mattress is a serious investment. It really is worth the time to get to know what mattress options are available and what type is best for you. A good quality mattress aids deeper, more refreshing sleep and gives your body better support.
Quick Guide to Buying a New Mattress
- If you find that you are waking up with aches or pains, or your mattress just doesn’t seem to be giving you the right comfort and support level, it’s probably time for a change.
- Before buying a new mattress, research all the options available to you. Remember that a bed is a mattress and a base, don’t consider them in isolation e.g. a sprung divan will make a mattress seem softer than a platform top or solid top divan or slatted base.
- When trying out your new mattress, wear comfortable clothing, remove any outdoor wear including your shoes and lie on each bed for quite a long time – at least 5 minutes. Lie in your normal sleep position and make some turns, too. Don’t forget to shop together if the bed’s for two, as you both need to feel comfortable.
- Most mattresses need regular turning to ensure even wear and tear. However, if this would pose a difficulty for you there are now plenty of non-turn options, which only need rotating occasionally.
- If you’re concerned about disposing of your old mattress safley, don’t worry! At Dalzell’s we offer Free Delivery* and Free Collection and Recycling of your old mattress throughout Northern Ireland, and Counties Monaghan, Louth and Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland. What’s more, we’ll also unpack and set-up your new mattress in a room of your choosing and dispose of all the packaging. *Delivery throughout the rest of Ireland available at Highly Competitive Rates.
- ‘Orthopaedic is often a term used to describe mattresses with a firmer spring. It’s more important to choose a mattress that gives proper support as opposed to just being very hard.
Types of Mattress
Bonelli Spring Or Open Coil
The most widely used type of spring is the Bonnell spring or open coil. The number of springs used in an open coil mattress varies but a typical 5’ mattress contains in the region of 325, or more for higher quality beds. The level of support offered by an Open Coil mattress is also dependent on the gauge (thickness) of the wire with 12.5 considered a very firm mattress. A great value for money model, open coil spring mattresses are lighter than other mattresses, easier to turn, which extends the life of the mattress.
Continuous Spring Mattresses
Somewhat different from an Open Coil, a Continuous Spring mattress system involves smaller coils and the gauge of wires is usually lighter. This higher spring count is usually formed from a single length of wire and the bed springs are linked vertically as opposed to horizontally. Continuous Springs are a cheaper alternative to both Open Coil/Bonnell and Pocket Spring mattresses.
Pocket Spring Mattresses
The Pocket Spring offers a more luxurious sensation and is the fastest growing type of mattress spring by market share. With its smaller individual, softer springs which are separately housed in fabric pockets they work independently when responding to body weight to relieve pressure points. A Pocket Spring mattress offers an ideal sleep solution if you and your partner differ considerably in weight or size. With a higher spring count, a pocket spring mattress comes in a range of tensions to suit a wide range of individual needs.
Latex Mattresses, also known as Talalay Mattresses, are a premium bedding product. Derived from the sap of a rubber tree, Latex Mattresses have a distinctive, resilient feel which is incredibly durable and which provides long lasting support, conforming perfectly to your body’s contours for supreme comfort and spinal support.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory Foam Mattresses slowly respond to body temperature and weight to take the shape of the user. This individual moulding process to your body’s shape, provides unrivalled suport and comfort thus guaranteeing relief for back, neck and joint pain through the best natural sleeping posture with pressure evenly distributed across the mattress area.
At Dalzell’s we’ve produced an in-depth buyers guide on all things beds and mattresses, to help you make an informed choice about what mattress is right for you. And, of course, our expert staff are on hand Monday to Staurday to answer any questions you may have, and to advise on any additional needs you would like to address. Conveniently located close to Newry and Armagh, Dalzell’s of Markethill is a short drive down the M1 from Belfast, and close to Monaghan and Louth. You can visit us in-store, Email us or Call on T: 028 3755 1260. With some 500+ beds & mattresses in stock, you’ll be spolit for choice with our wide selection of mattresses from leading manufacturers such as Dorlux, Kaymed, King Koil, Myers, Respa, Slumber Night, Sleeptight, Staples and Odearest.