As the evenings draw in autumn marks the beginning of our shorter days and darker nights. On Sunday 28th October the clocks go back giving way to cosy nights and hygge lifestyles.
Sunday also marks National Sleep In Day – The Sleep Council’s annual campaign that celebrates the extra hour we all get in bed.
Yes, it’s the one time in the year when we don’t need an excuse to have a lie-in. But do you know why the clocks go back?
Why do the clocks go back?
The clocks go back an hour on Sunday 28 October at 2am. The reason for this was one William Willett, an Edwardian builder, who introduced the idea of British Summer Time, also known as Daylight Saving Time, in 1907.
Willett published a leaflet called ‘The Waste of Daylight’ to encourage people to get out of bed earlier by changing the nation’s clocks. However, it was only introduced in the UK in 1916 – a year after he died.
If, like ourselves, you’re looking forward to that extra hour’s kip in bed this weekend, check out our top tips on how to get the most out of your sleep-in.
Six Tips for a Successful Sleep-in
1. Remember to switch the alarm off or change its setting before you go to sleep.
2. Unplug any phones in the room and make sure they are not set to come on too early in the morning.
3. Close the curtains or draw the blinds to prevent daylight from seeping in to your bedroom.
4. Avoid eating too touch too late the night before and avoid drinking caffeine or alcohol before bedtime. All these things can prevent a good night’s slumber.
5. Is your bed big enough to prevent partner disturbance? Try a king size or super king size bed for size; you’ll be less likely to wake one another.
6. If you have young children, make sure you have nominated your designated early riser the night before – no point in both of you being awake 😉
What to do next
At Dalzell’s we take your sleep needs seriously which is why we’ve invested in training our staff with the Sleep Council Sales Academy qualifications programme. We’re happy to advise on all your sleep needs and you can be assured that our expert staff will help you choose a bed and mattress that best meets your individual needs. Browse our online store or visit our showroom in Markethill where there’s plenty of on-street Free Parking. We’re easily accessible too, just off the A28 between Armagh and Newry; 30 minutes from Lisburn, 45 from Belfast and an hour from Dublin. With Multi-Buy Discounts available why shop anywhere else? And of course when you buy a new bed from us we offer Free Delivery throughout Northern Ireland and Counties Monaghan, Louth and Dublin, in addition to our Free Pillows and Free Recycling of your old bed. Visit in-store, Email, or simply Call us on T: 028 3755 1260 where our staff are on hand to answer and questions you may have.