Bed Size Matters!
As parents, one of the many milestones in our children’s lives is the transition from cot to bed. Buying your child’s first bed is an exciting experience and ultimately it is all about giving them more freedom, space and room to grow. How many of us though give ourselves the same star treatment?
In the UK the most popular bed size is a double bed (135cm by 190cm) – the narrowest and among the shortest in the world. People in Belgium, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Finland and Switzerland have a preference for much bigger beds. According to The Sleep Council, people are much more likely to enjoy an undisturbed night’s sleep on bigger beds. Their findings also suggest that king and super-king sized beds are on the increase. ‘In 1993, 20% of people bought new beds that were 5ft or more wide. Ten years later sales of king and super-king sized beds represented about 30% of sales.’
Move on Up!
As standards of living and nutrition have improved, the average Briton has got taller: official Health of the Nation figures show 30% of men under 25 are now over six feet tall with the average woman about 5′ 4″. When buying a new bed, size is important! For many couples a double bed size of 4ft 6in x 6ft 3in really isn’t big enough for two to sleep well without disturbing each other: studies have shown that more space – even a slight move up to a 5′ x 6′ 6″ King size bed – can make a lot of difference to night-time comfort. If your bedroom space allows, there are larger bed sizes available including custom made beds and mattresses. Zip and link beds and dual adjustable electric beds also provide differing comfort and support requirements. Remember though, it’s always worth taking the time to decide on what is best for your needs.
Try before you buy
- Decide upon your priorities in advance. For example what is your budget? Do you require storage? What size of bed can your bedroom accommodate?
- When you visit us try a selection of beds for comparison before you buy and set aside enough time to do so properly so you can fully appreciate the differences.
- Buy a bed that offers the correct support and comfort for your weight and build – not just firmness.
- Wear comfortable clothing, remove any outdoor wear including your shoes and lie on each bed for at least 5 minutes. Lie in your normal sleep position and make some turns, too.
- Shop together if the bed’s for two as you both need to feel comfortable.
- Remember that a bed is a mattress and a base, don’t consider them in isolation.
- Think big! Larger beds are more comfortable and being disturbed by a partner is one of the most common sleep complaints. With a larger bed you are less likely to disturb one another.
- Check your bed’s dimensions. Bed sizes are not standardised and even if they have the same name (eg King size) they may not be the same size. The depth of a new mattress may also be important if you are using a bedstead as your base.
- Like everything in life, you get what you pay for in regards of both product and service so spend as much as you can afford.
- Bespoke sizes, with our excellent relationships with leading manufacturers we can quickly arrange for the manufacture and delivery of a custom sized bed to suit you or your home.
*Please remember, you’re going to spend more than 20,000 hours on your bed during its seven year lifespan, as such it really is worth setting aside a little time and effort in the beginning to make sure you make the right choice.
What to do next?
Whether you require a double bed, king size or super king size bed Dalzell’s of Markethill can meet your individual requirements promptly and to the highest industry standards. Even if you require a longer bed, wider bed or even a double bed with different qualities on either side, with our Bespoke Bed and Mattress Service we can help you choose the right size of bed and mattress to meet your individual requirements. Even if you’re not sure what size of bed or mattress is right for you, don’t worry, give us a call on T: 028 3755 1260 or drop us an email: our expert staff are on hand to advise. Just a short drive from Newry and Armagh, and conveniently located to serve Belfast and Lisburn, you can always visit us in-store. You can feel confident of receiving the Best Deal, Unbeatable Value and Free Delivery of your new Bed or Mattress or anything else your home may require throughout N.I. and Counties Dublin, Louth & Monaghan. What’s more, we provide a Free Collection and Recycling of Your Old Bed service too and offer highly competitive delivery rates across the rest of Ireland.