Am I due a new bed?
According to research by the Furniture Industry Research Association, 2011 ‘A bed may have deteriorated by as much as 70% from its ‘as new’ state after 10 years. It also showed that beds as little as six years old could offer significantly less support and comfort than a new one, thanks to wear and tear not just from body weight and movement but also sweat and debris such as skin, scales, hair etc.’
With National Bed Month happening in March, maybe it’s time to start thinking about buying a new bed. Consider what type of bed you need. Your choice of bed will be determined by the layout of your bedroom, the space you have available, your design choices and whether the bed is for two people – ideally a purchase decision made together.
With so many products in the market, it can be a daunting task choosing which bed is right for you. Ultimately providing you with a great night’s sleep, buying a new bed is a long term investment and it’s worth spending as much as you can afford. At Dalzell’s we always recommend that you visit us in-store to try out different beds before ordering online or by phone.
- Decide upon your priorities and concerns in advance. For example what is your budget? Do you require storage? What size of bed can your bedroom accommodate? Are you fit to turn a mattress? How easy is it for you to get in and out of bed? Have you any health issues such as allergies or respiratory complaints?
- When you visit us try a selection of beds for comparison before you buy and set aside enough time to do so properly so you can fully appreciate the differences.
- Buy a bed that offers the correct support and comfort for your weight and build – not just firmness.
- Wear comfortable clothing, remove any outdoor wear including your shoes and lie on each bed for quite a long time – at least 5 minutes. Lie in your normal sleep position and make some turns, too.
- Shop together if the bed’s for two as you both need to feel comfortable.
- Remember that a bed is a mattress and a base, don’t consider them in isolation.
- Think big! Larger beds are more comfortable and being disturbed by a partner is one of the most common sleep complaints. With a larger bed you are less likely to disturb one another.
- Check your bed’s dimensions. Bed sizes are not standardised and even if they have the same name (eg King Size) they may not be the same size. The depth of a new mattress may also be important if you are using a bedstead as your base.
- Like everything in life, you get what you pay for in regards of both product and service so spend as much as you can afford
- Bespoke sizes, with our excellent relationships with leading manufacturers we can quickly arrange for the manufacture and delivery of a custom sized bed to suit you or your home.
*Please remember, you’re going to spend more than 20,000 hours on your bed during its seven year lifespan, as such it really is worth setting aside a little time and effort in the beginning to make sure you make the right choice.
What to do now
Stocking a wide range of leading bed brands that include Kaymed, King Koil, Respa,Dorlux, Odearest, Slumber Night, Sleeptight, Myers and Staples there’s something for everyone at Dalzell’s of Markethill. What’s more we offer a Free Delivery and Recycling Service across Northern Ireland and Counties Louth, Monaghan and Dublin, with competitive rates across the rest of Ireland. Located in Markethill, just off the A28 between Armagh and Newry. We are just a short 20 minute drive from Lurgan and 55 minutes drive from Lisburn. No time to visit, no problem! You can place your order and gain expert advice from our experienced team over the phone on 028 3755 1260 or even by Email.