Founded by Samuel Bronstein in 1898, King Koil has for over a century manufactured the highest-quality beds and mattresses in the market today. One of the leading Orthopaedic Bed brands in the world, King Koil produces some of the most advanced Spinal Comfort mattresses and is the only brand endorsed by the International Chiropractors Association for the support its mattresses provide.
It is estimated that four out of every five adults (80%) will experience back pain at some stage in their life.* Whilst there are many physical and psychosocial factors that contribute to back pain – heavy physical work, frequent bending, twisting, lifting, obesity, stress, anxiety, depression – it’s worth remembering that a good bed, providing correct support and comfort, has an important role to play in relieving and preventing back pain.
What Bed is Best For Back Pain?
There’s no single right bed to ease a back problem and for every back problem there is a different solution. It’s worth taking time to try a number of different beds and choose one that provides you with the right support and comfort levels.
It’s often assumed that orthopaedic or firmer beds are the best option for people, especially those with back problems. However, a supportive mattress with proper cushioning can be the better option. Sleeping on a saggy, lumpy uncomfortable bed could not only cost you up to an hour’s sleep a night but it also could be contributing to your back problem.
Bed Tips for Relieving Back Pain**
- Buy a bed that’s supportive and comfortable. Ideally your mattress should mould to your body; too soft and your body will slouch which could result in back pain; too firm and your hips and shoulders pressure points could feel discomfort.
- Take time and try out different beds – lie on each bed for quite a long time – at least 5 minutes.
- Choose one bed size up – a bigger bed will be of benefit both for the back pain sufferer and their partner.
- Think also about the height of the bed and whether you can get in and out of it easily. An adjustable bed might be an option if this is an area of particular concern. Has an Adjustable Bed been recommended to you or a family member for health reasons? If so, and you live in Northern Ireland, request a letter from your Doctor and we’ll Zero Rate The Vat on your purchase! Yes, you will not need to pay the 20% VAT!
- Consider choosing a Non-Turn Mattress.
- Choose a pillow that provides both neck and back support, ensuring the neck is in alignment with the rest of the spine.
- Try and adopt a sleeping position which creates less physical stress on the back (e.g. lying on your side is better than lying on your front with your neck twisted to one side!).
What to do next?
Stocking a wide range of leading bed brands, Armagh Beds.com and Dalzell’s of Markethill has an extensive selection of firm, medium and soft mattress options to help you find the optimum level of support for your back pain needs. With over 500 beds in stock including orthopaedic and adjustable beds from leading brands Kaymed, King Koil, Respa,Dorlux, Odearest, Slumber Night, Sleeptight, Myers and Staples there’s something for everyone at Dalzell’s.
What’s more, we offer a Free Delivery service and Free Recycling of Your Old Bed across Northern Ireland and Counties Louth, Monaghan and Dublin, with competitive rates across the rest of Ireland.
*BackCare – The Charity for Healthier Backs – Back Facts
** The Sleep Council – Look After Your Back
You should contact your GP if you’re worried about your back or struggling to cope with the pain.